Sunday 18 August 2013

My summer with a broken back...




I realise this isn't sticking to my usual fashion criteria but I wanted to write a bit about breaking my back as I have discovered that when you tell someone you have broken your back, unless they can see you they automatically expect the worse. In May I broke 3 vertebrates in my spine and severely compressed them. I was extremely lucky that my fractures were stable, this meant there were no parts of bone near my spinal cord, and although I was still at risk of it becoming unstable I was in the best place, hospital. When I found out I was getting a back brace I think I thought the same as everyone else would.....


However my fractures were in the center of my spine which meant the only part of me that had to be braced and supported was my torso, I got this lovely contraption.....


When talking to my consultant I tried to make light of the situation by telling him that I was a fashion student and how did he expected me to make this look fashionable? This was the moment I discovered that consultants don’t really have a sense of humour!

Anyway, in my first 6 weeks I had to lie flat on my back unless my brace was on, which made sleeping very uncomfortable, and getting washed and dressed every morning was an absolute nightmare! I could hardly do anything myself and although my little brother seemed to think I should be happy that everyone was having to do everything for me, I realised that when you can do it yourself you’ll happily let others do it, but when you can’t, all you want is to be able to do is be independent.  One of the worst things was having my mum give me injections every day, if I’d had the choice I think I would of got up and ran away a few times, especially when my boyfriend asked if you just ‘stabbed it in’.

Family Bonding trying to wash my hair over a box

After those frustrating 6 weeks I was given permission to have my brace off for short periods of time when in the house. This made a lot of things much easier. I could now dress myself which meant I could be a bit more adventurous than leggings and a plain t-shirt.


After 3 frustrating months I was finally allowed to take my brace off last Monday, trust me I have never been so happy before. Although my spine is now curved and the compression's will never heal it felt so good to finally get some good news. I have now had my brace off for a week and it has been tough and although I think I can now do so much more every day my body isn't quite ready for what I had planned. Physio at the moment is the simplest of exercises, but next week I get an exercise ball and a regime to do in a swimming pool, so I’m looking forward to new movements. Although I am going to look pretty silly doing stretches and walking in the swimming pool, no i’m not allowed to actually swim....

Although this has been difficult and painful, my family and friends especially my Mum and Alex have been absolutely amazing. My mum said it was like I was a baby again, she has a point. And Alex well he has had to watch me in so much pain and care for me in ways that he never thought he would but he kept me smiling!

Now to make the most of my brace free weeks before I go back to uni :D 

A x

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you that you've finally gotten your brace off, and I hope your journey to recovery carries on smoothly :) I've got to admit that Regina was exactly what I thought of when you said back brace! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, poor you, what a summer! Glad to hear all ok now and enjoy your last few weeks!

    beautyandtheb1.blogspot.co.uk

    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Alice. Hope you have the best time back at Uni, and you get over your fear of looking "daft" in the swimming pool!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alice. I recently broke my back in a car accident. L1,2,3,4. Would love to hear how you're getting on now xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lea, sorry to hear that. If you give me an email on alicerosie.93@hotmail.co.uk and I can answer any questions you have :) xx

      Delete